Painting in Waldorf Education
Dick Bruin and Attie Lichthart
$18.00Add a review
Painting in Waldorf Education is an exciting and much-longed-for resource for teachers and parents. This extraordinary book was written by two experienced Waldorf teachers from Holland who present the rationale as well as detailed practical exercises for teaching painting from Kindergarten through the grades and high school years. At last! a step-by-step presentation of the 'how' of a painting lesson (beginning with observation and other preparatory exercises for students that are also wonderful for adults!). That the fundamental 'why' and 'when' questions are also answered makes Painting in Waldorf Education a resource that will be used often and remain in use for many, many years to come.
Included with the book is a CD Rom containing sixty-two color and black and white images.
Painting with Children
$15.95Add a review
This wonderful book is once again available to parents and teachers wanting to explore with children the world of liquid color. And, it is still the best guide ever for those new to wet-on-wet painting and to painting with young children. Here is everything you need to know, even if you've never painted (or never painted this way) before:
- the author begins with a lovely discussion about how children experience the world of color
- she goes on to offer some thoughts on what she calls "the morality of color." I find that this section inspires me to become more imaginative when I work with colors - it really brings them to life in a very unique way
- there is a long section, filled with color photographs of both children painting and the paintings they produced, that takes us into the world of children painting with watercolors. This can become a welcome guide for parents who have never done this before - it should help everyone to paint joyfully
- then, there are clear instructions for mixing the paints, preparing the paper, distributing the water jars, paint pots and brushes
- ah! and then comes the painting! and the color stories! and the sheer wonder of it all!
- the author adds suggestions for seasonal painting themes, how to create the stories and what their basis is, the experience of color and the moods of nature
- finally, there are even instructions for preparing plant pigments for painting and photos showing the soft, inviting colors they produce.
There is so much joy to be had here - I've waited for years hoping for this book to reappear. What a treasure!
The Being of the Arts
Translated by Reg Down
$8.95Add a review
For those interested in the spiritual aspects of the arts Reg Down has translated Rudolf Steiner's "The Being of the Arts."
In what was announced as a lecture Steiner instead began to tell an extraordinary tale. It begins with two women standing in a stark and frozen landscape: one experiences the bitter cold, the other the extraordinary beauty. Both fall asleep, but while one falls into a sleep on the verge of death, the other is approached out of the sunset by a youth who says: ‘You are art’. She then undergoes a powerful set of experiences. Today we might call them vivid dreams, but that would be too passive. They are more than dreams; she performs deeds and becomes the bearer of mighty, creative impulses for the future.
This tale, told in 1909, has lost none of its originality and vividness. It is as relevant and powerful as when it was first told. It presents the reader with a series of images and beings drawn directly from the spiritual world, but in such a way that, through art, a bridge is built between the spiritual and earthly worlds.
This edition is freshly translated by Reg Down, with a foreword and end notes containing illustrations and photographs of subjects and works of art mentioned in the course of the tale.
Seeing - Experiencing - Understanding
Richly illustrated in full colour
$5.00Add a review
Originally $40.00 -
Colour gives readers a delightfully illustrated introduction to the world of colors. Packed with full-color images, it leads from perception to understanding and from experience to practice. This book is ideal for parents, teachers and anyone who wishes to develop a deeper knowledge and appreciation of the phenomenon of color.
Beginning with simple sensory experiences and experiments, the author leads readers to an understanding of colors, rainbows, and color circles (as created by Goethe, Rudolf Steiner, and Harald Küppers). He provides simple but vivid explanations of the basic colors, the complementary colors, and the mystery of colored shadows. He also offers commentary on the psychology and mythology of colors and demonstrates connections between them, the planets and the signs of the zodiac