compiled and introduced by Sharifa Oppenheimer
edited by Joan Almon
Softbound, with pages of color photos!
This edition has been replaced with the full-color paperback, What is a Waldorf Kindergarten? (2nd Edition)
What a joy this book is! It has been several years since the only book that had actual photos and descriptions of daily life in a Waldorf kindergarten went out of print — and the loss as been palpable. This beautiful little book fills that gap in a wonderful way and goes even further in describing the goals and ways of kindergarten education within the Waldorf approach. I am so happy that this book has found its way into print, and am confident that it will find its way into the hearts of parents and teachers and emerge as beautiful environments in which young children will grow and be glad.
Through a compilation of articles originally published in various WECAN newsletters, we adults are invited into the life of the kindergarten, and into a deeper understanding of the rhymes and reasons for things being as they are. Each step of the way, we are also treated to photos that make clear what is being spoken about, and empower us to go forth and do likewise. Prepare to enter the world of delight and wonder!
- Foreword by Joan Almon
- Part One: An Overview of the Waldorf Kindergarten
- Introductions by Sharifa Oppenheimer
- “A Day in the Life of the Kindergarten” by Ingeborg Schöttner
- “Handwork in the Kindergarten” by Dora Dolder
- “Human Development through Art” by Freya Jaffke
- “Circle Time in the Kindergarten” by Nancy Foster
- “Fairy Tales and the Image of the Human Being” by Helmut von Kügelglen
- “Choosing Fairy Tales for Different Ages” by Joan Almon
- “The Seasons and Their Festivals” by Joan Almon
- Part Two: A Deeper Understanding of the Waldorf Kindergarten Introductions by Sharifa Oppenheimer
- “Stages of Development in Early Childhood” by Freya Jaffke
- “Kindergarten Education with Mixed-Age Groups” by Freya Jaffke
- “The Significance of Imitation in the Development of the Will” by Freya Jaffke
- “Considerations about Kindergarten Readiness” by Joan Almon
- Afterword: “Meeting the Needs of the Times” by Cynthia K. Aldinger