Illustrated by John Bauer
Hardbound, large format, richly illustrated with amazing paintings
* * * Temporarily out of stock. More on the way!! * * *
If you order this item it will be shipped in 1-2 weeks.
from “Leap Elk and Little Princess Cottongrass”
This dazzling collection of twenty-nine illustrated stories, retold by some of the greatest Swedish writers, includes:
- “When Mother Troll Took in the King’s Washing” by Elsa Beskow
- “The Magician’s Cape” by Anna Wahlenberg
- “Leap the Elk and the Little Princess Cottongrass” by Helge Kjellin
- “The Four Big Trolls and Little PetHer Pastureman” by Cyrus Granér
- “The Trolls and the Youngest Tomte” by Alfred Smedberg
- “The Ring” by Helena Nyblom
- “The Seven Wishes” by Alfred Smedberg
- “Stalo and Kauras” by P. A. Lindholm
- “The Maiden in the Castle of Rosy Clouds” by Harald Ostenson
- “The Boy and the Trolls, or the Adventure” by Walter Stenström
- “The Crofters and the Gnomes” by Anna Wahlenberg
- “The Golden Key” by W. E. Björk
- “The Giant Who Slept for Ten Thousand Years” by Einar Rosenborg
- … and many more!
John Bauer’s original and evocative illustrations bring these classic Swedish folk tales to life. His art seems to me to be a combination of earthly idealism and a fascintating evocation of spiritual reality (or perhaps “elemental reality”). It is no wonder that he is so beloved in Sweden. This collection, paired with his paintings, makes this a book to treasure for generations.
Because of the complexity of some of the themes, as well as the rather robust encounters of humans and elemental beings, I personally recommend this collection for children ages 9 and older, though some of the stories are appropriate for younger children.