174 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
Foreword by James A Duke, Ph.D.
New Softbound edition - formerly titled Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal
The herbal that has it all!
I ordered copies of this book for our book shop sight-unseen simply because I enjoy Rosemary Gladstar’s other herbal books so much. I expected to find another book reflecting her love of plants and knowledge of herbs, and containing many of her outstanding formulas for various things. What I really found, and what I am jumping up and down in excitement about, is nothing less than the best family health and wellness guide, the best introduction to plant lore, the most loving guide to living in wholeness on our earth I have every seen!!!!! It’s fun to read, too – I could barely put it down long enough to write this review and I’m going back to it the minute I’m finished.
The publishers must have thought as I do, also, because they have put extra effort into the binding (extra heavy, signature stitched, beautiful), the paper selection (heavy, semi-gloss), the layout – two column text with many boxes of extra stories, insights, lore, the need for beautiful photos (lots of color photos of plants, people and more), the size (an extra friendly 7.5″ x 7.5″ x 1.5″thick). In short, this is a book that will last as long as it’s usefulness (several generations) and will gladden the heart every time it’s used.
Rosemary has divided the Family Herbal into 9 well-organized chapters, two appendices packed with basic information, herbal resources and an excellent index.
- Eco-Logical Herbalism
- A Prescription for Life – the basics of healthy living, where herbs fit in
- Taming Stress and Anxiety
- Home Remedies for everyday Ailments
- Recipes for Radiant Beauty (I’ve been using her facial system for over 5 years with outstanding results!)
- For Children (includes great sections on the needs of the sick child beyond remedies, dosage for children and more)
- For Women
- For Men
- For Elders
- Appendix I: The Herbal Apothecary: An A-to-Z Guide
- Appendix II: The Art of Making Herbal Remedies
I can’t think of any homecare situation that isn’t covered here – and there is much that goes beyond the basics. This book is as joyous as its author and very, very thorough. Mini-biographies and vignets of some of our most wonderful herbalists are an extra attraction.
If you can have only one book on herbal remedies, this is the one to get!
Rosemary Gladstar is a national treasure, a leader and a visionary in the field of folk herbalism for more than three decades. . . . Don’t leave this book on a shelf – it belongs on the kitchen counter, where it can be used every day!
- Tieraona Low Dog, M.D.; Member, White House Commission on Complementary and Alternative Medicine