Told for Children
I had never heard of this little treasure of a book until a few weeks ago. In fact, I had never seen a copy until those I had requested sight unseen arrived at my door.
It’s been a long time since I was in a community where simple yet deep and beautiful stories were told at festival times — Irene Johanson has brought that all back to me and offers it to anyone who opens her book. Although these tales for the Christian festivals are indeed told for children, it is hard for me to imagine anyone who could listen to or read these stories without loving them.
Most of the stories are quite short, which is good not only because they can be told at bedtime, but because there is so much imaginative gold contained in each that these small portions allow the heart to wrap itself completely around the stories and lets the mind imagine each one to the fullest.
- Easter, Ascension and Whitson – 9 different stories
- Legends about St. John (the Baptist) – 10 stories
- The Marriage of the King’s Son (for Michaelmas) – 3 stories
- The Animals’ Joy at Christmas – 6 stories
- Star Legends for Epiphany – 6 stories
- Holy Week – 6 stories